DEI Collective: Mechanical Design Engineer (Intern)
Hi there! This job opportunity is part of the DEI Collective.
What is the DEI Collective?
It's an initiative launched at Johns Hopkins for students to get summer internships at companies who are committed to improving access to students from underrepresented communities.
Some things to keep in mind:
- TAILOR YOUR RESUME TO THIS POSITION. Companies will be looking at your resumes and selecting your resume based on how well it aligns to this job description.
- Please submit a brief personal statement that explains your interest in the DEI Collective and/or how your experiences reflect your commitment to diversity through one or more of the following attributes: first generation status, limited income, racial minority, LGBTQ+, international/national origin or disability/differently abled. Please submit this to the job posting in addition to your resume – you can attach it as an additional document and reuse it for each company and job you apply for.
NOTE: Your personal statement should not exceed one paragraph and please include your name, phone number, and email on the personal statement.
- Deadline to apply is 11:55 pm on December 29th.
- PLEASE put the BEST email and phone number to reach you during the break ON YOUR RESUME. We will be sending interview notifications during the break to those emails on your resume. We have had instances where students didn't check their emails until it was too late and MISSED their opportunity.
By submitting your resume, you agree:
- To let us share your resume outside the bounds of this event with companies who are hiring talent from JHU.
- To BE AVAILABLE for one or multiple 1-hour interviews between 11 am- 5pm on Thursday, Jan 21 and Friday, Jan 22. (We send interview notifications out around January 13th.)
Any questions? Reach out to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
What you'll do
- Design parts & assemblies (including manufacturing processes and testing)
- GD&T and engineering tolerance analysis
- Establish relationships with vendors, suppliers, and CMs in a startup environment
- Contribute as an integral member of our small hardware team
What we look for
- Proven CAD skills (including master/skeleton modeling and managing large assemblies)
- Understanding of GD&T and engineering tolerance analysis
- Exposure to DFM, DFA, and tooling considerations
- Industry experience designing consumer robotics
- Thermal and fluid analysis expertise
- Comfort with fast-paced, autonomous startup atmosphere
- Risk taking, a propensity for learning, and no fear of failure
We'd love to hear from you if...
- You are genuinely motivated to help those around you
- You are passionate about learning outside of your normal comfort zones
- You love diagnosing complex technical issues
- You are excited to do great work
If you got to this point, we hope you're feeling excited about this opportunity at Matician! Even if you don't feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people who are keen to learn and are passionate about what Matician is building. We want to hear how you can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just the above boxes.