Engineer I - II (Region Bridge Engineer) (Job Id 15468)
*** $2,500 Hiring Incentive! ***
Current Department of Transportation Employees do NOT qualify for the Hiring Incentive
Job ID: 15468
Agency: Department of Transportation / Division of Operations
Salary: $25.37 - $33.58 per hour, depending on experience
Pay Grade: E1 - E2
Closing Date: 02/04/2021
This is a full-time position with the Department of Transportation. For more information on the Department of Transportation, please visit https://dot.sd.gov/.
Working for the South Dakota Department of Transportation (SDDOT) provides a rewarding career with opportunities for advancement, a flexible work schedule, and great benefits.
This position assists with providing oversight of inspection and maintenance of state-owned bridges and box culverts, including hands-on inspection of bridges, determining and reporting structure data and condition ratings, identifying bridge repair and maintenance needs, performing bridge related project design work, inspection of newly built structures prior to final acceptance, and there may be times when assistance of the maintenance crew is required.
From approximately April 15 to October 31, the anticipated work schedule for this position is 10-hour days, 4 days per week from Monday through Thursday each week. From approximately November 1 - April 14, the anticipated work schedule for this position is eight-hour days, Monday through Friday. In-state travel with overnights stays during the summer months may be required.
Work assignments are frequently performed outside in all weather conditions and around highway traffic. Work at extreme heights routinely.
Licenses and Certifications:
The successful candidate will be required to become a NBI Team Leader. Minimum qualifications to become a certified Team Leader, for the purposes of this position, include a bachelors degree in engineering, passing the FE exam, two years of NBIS bridge inspection experience, and successful completion of an FHWA-approved comprehensive bridge inspection training course.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
Only applicants with a bachelor's degree in civil engineering and the ability to become a NBI Team Leader will be considered.
- civil engineering principles of structural design, construction and maintenance methods and practices.
- communicate, organize, and time management skills;
- use Microsoft Office products and relevant software.
- apply several engineering disciplines - hydraulics, geology, chemistry, structures, environmental, materials, and road design;
- read, interpret, and evaluate engineering plans, and specifications for acceptable engineering practices;
- understand different structure types, construction materials and methods;
- effectively plan, organize, and prioritize work activities to meet schedules and deadlines;
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with others;
- make appropriate decisions by applying standards and available information to specific situations;
- communicate information clearly and concisely and develop ideas in a logical sequence;
- analyze problems and recommend solutions;
- work in a team environment;
- develop positive working relationships
- walk, sit and stand for extended periods of time;
- routinely reach, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl through tight box culverts, wade through water and/or muck, and work at heights;
- traverse long distances over many kinds of terrain including, but not limited to, waterways, rip rap, steep slopes, etc.; animals, reptiles, and insects are a factor.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9.
The State of South Dakota offers paid employee health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation leave accrual, and medical, dental, vision, and other benefits. For more information please visit https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
Apply by clicking on the green "Apply Externally" button.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Fax: 605.773.4344
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"