Deputy Director, Department of Public Works and Environmental Services, Capital Facilities
Fairfax County DPWES is seeking an experienced and innovative leader to direct the Capital Facilities business area of DPWES. Capital Facilities supports the planning, design, land acquisition, and construction services for the implementation of county capital construction projects. Typical construction projects include libraries, courts, police and fire stations, as well as projects planned and implemented through Public Private Partnerships and other alternative procurement methods. Capital Facilities also implements infrastructure improvement projects in the county, such as streetlights, sanitary sewer extensions, sanitary pump stations, pollution control plant expansions and upgrades. In addition, Capital Facilities oversees and implements land acquisition and construction management of transportation and stormwater projects. Leads a diverse workforce of approximately 200 employees, and oversees a $16 million operating general fund budget, and plans for projects in the county’s Capital Improvement Program (CIP) with combined total active projects managed by DPWES estimated at over $3.24 billion. Serves as the DPWES contracting officer for capital construction and related professional services, reviewing, and executing contracts and contract actions, and has the lead role in resolving contract disputes and associated appeal issues. Coordinates the preparation of DPWES input to the county CIP, including estimates and schedules for new county buildings and major renovations. Ensures Capital Facilities’ strategic initiatives and performance goals align with DPWES’ mission, vision, and values. Monitors fiscal and budgetary performance of Capital Facilities. Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other county agencies, Commonwealth of Virginia agencies, and federal agencies as appropriate. Promotes and develops a safety culture across the organization. Serves in the County’s Emergency Operations Center (EOC) during emergency events. Serves on the DPWES executive team. Reports to the DPWES Director.
Note: The full salary range is listed for the pay grade. Job offers will be made based on multiple factors, to include but not limited to, candidate qualifications exceeding the advertised minimum qualifications and meeting the advertised preferred qualifications as determined by the hiring agency, the agency’s available budget, and review of internal equity.
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for “Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to”)
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in engineering, urban and regional planning, business administration, public administration, or a related field; Plus ten years of progressively responsible public works and/or environmental services management experience, four years of which must have been in a management or supervisory capacity.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- A valid driver's license.
- Professional Engineer (PE) or Registered Architect (RA) in Virginia at time of appointment or ability to obtain within 12 months of hire.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check, credit check, and driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a talented and diverse workforce, including professional, technical, and administrative staff, creating a culture of collaboration.
- A minimum of ten years of experience managing the design and construction of a variety of large public sector capital projects and contracts with timely delivery.
- Demonstrated technical experience related to project management, design, and capital construction.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain working relationships with peers, senior leadership, other agencies, and external stakeholders.
- A minimum of ten years of experience negotiating and overseeing capital construction and related professional services contracts, including reviewing, and executing contracts and/or contract actions (amendments, change orders) and resolving contract disputes and associated appeals.
- A minimum of ten years of experience working with senior leadership, appointed and elected officials.
- Experience with public works or local government emergency response.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Job is generally sedentary. Must be able to walk around construction sites. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview and may include exercise.
Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or status as a veteran in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.