Occupational Safety Consultant (Occupational Safety Specialist 3)
- To protect and serve Oregon's consumers and workers while supporting a positive business climate.
- The Department of Consumer and Business Services (DCBS) is a progressive business regulatory state agency dedicated to the mission of protecting and serving Oregon's consumers and workers while supporting a positive business climate. The department administers state laws and rules governing workers' compensation, occupational safety and health, financial institutions, insurance companies and building codes. The department has consumer protection and education programs, offices, and ombudsmen to help consumers, injured workers, and businesses.
- This position is with the Oregon Occupational Safety and Health Division (Oregon OSHA). Oregon OSHA is responsible for assuring safe and healthful working conditions for Oregon workers through promulgation and enforcement of Occupational Safety and Health Regulations, and by providing education and consultation to employees and employers.
- This position is represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU).
What’s in it for you:
- Rewarding work in a productive and creative environment
- Colleagues who are passionate about public service
- Work/life balance, 10 paid holidays a year, and a competitive benefits package
- Advancement and learning opportunities that will help grow your career with the State of Oregon
- Live, work, and play in Eugene, Oregon
Here’s what you will do:
- As an Occupational Safety Consultant, you will you will perform work both as an workplace safety consultant and training specialist. As an occupational safety consultant, you will perform technical work involving the application of safety engineering principles for the prevention and control of occupational safety hazards; and work with employers, managers, employer associations and employees to develop voluntary methods to provide safe and healthful workplaces. As a training specialist you will deliver, develop and coordinate the delivery of technical safety training to meet the needs of employers and employees.
- For a complete listing of the duties and responsibilities of this position, please review the position description by clicking here.
Here’s what you need to qualify:
- Minimum Qualifications:
- One year of safety experience with Federal or State occupational safety and health organization performing duties comparable to an Oregon OSHA Occupational Safety Specialist 2 level;
- A Bachelor's degree in industrial safety or occupational safety and health and two years of professional level occupational safety and health program experience;
- An Associate's degree in industrial safety or occupational safety and health and four years of industrial safety program experience (at least two years must be professional level occupational safety and health program experience);
- Six years of industrial safety program experience (at least two years must be professional level occupational safety and health program experience).
- Requested Skills:
- In-depth safety analysis skills
- Outstanding professional communication skills, including verbal and written skills
- Strong problem solving skills, including assisting other staff with solving problems
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with diverse groups
- Skill making decisions independently
- Preference may be given to candidates who have experience in construction or general industry
- Preference may be given to applicants who can fluently speak, read, and write Spanish
- Please ensure that you clearly demonstrate in your application materials that you meet the qualifications listed and that you follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may impact your rating or result in you not being considered for the job.
How to apply:
- Click on the green "Apply Externally" button.
- To apply for this position, click on the "Apply" button to fill out all information in the online application and complete the questionnaire. Failure to do so may result in your application being removed from consideration.
- A resume is required for this job posting. Please attach it in the “Resume / CV” section of the application.
- Only complete applications received by the posted application deadline date will be considered.
After you apply:
- Log in to your Workday account before the job announcement closes to see if you have any pending tasks or actions, and make sure to complete these tasks or actions before the job announcement closes. These can be found under the “My Applications” section.
- Be sure to check both your email and Workday account for updates regarding this recruitment.
- Please save a copy of this job announcement for your reference, as it may not be available for you to view after the job closes.
- You may be asked to submit a skills assessment, a writing sample, or a video interview as part of the application screening process.
- The successful candidate must have a valid driver's license and a satisfactory driving record. Prior to an offer of employment, DCBS may request that you provide an official driving record.
- This position is subject to a fingerprint background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities. Only job-related convictions will be considered and will not automatically disqualify the candidate.
- Eligible veterans who meet the qualifications will be given veterans' preference. For further information, please see the following website: Veterans Resources. NOTE: If claiming veterans’ preference please be sure to check your Workday account for pending tasks or actions under your “My Applications” section.
- The Department of Consumer and Business Services does not offer VISA sponsorships. Within three days of hire, you will be required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security's I-9 form confirming authorization to work in the United States.
Helpful links and contact information:
- Learn more about DCBS
- Understanding the State Application Process
- Help & Support webpage
- For additional information you may contact us by e-mail at DCBS.Recruiting@oregon.gov or by phone at 503-378-3200.