Manager Braille & Talking Book(Job Id 15491)
Job ID: 15491
Agency: Department of Education
Salary: $25.00 to $27.00 per hour
Pay Grade: GJ
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This is a Full-Time 40 Hours Weekly position with the Department of Education. For more information on the Department of Education please visit http://doe.sd.gov.
The qualified candidate will lead and supervise the Braille & Talking Book Library within the South Dakota State Library. The SDSL is part of the Department of Education. They will provide support for the daily operations of the BTB program to ensure efficient delivery of library services to subscribed patrons and subscribed institutional depositories such as nursing homes, assisted living facilities and public libraries. The successful candidate will manage the KLAS (Keystone Library Automated) system. They will be responsible for the management of the NLS (National Library Services) collection inventory including selected weeding and downloading of new NLS selected books. This manager will report to the State Librarian and supervise and evaluate five paraprofessionals.
This position is exempt from the Civil Service Act.
Licenses and Certifications:
- a Bachelor's degree is required;
- a Master's degree in Library Science or equivalent is preferred.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- possess organizational and leadership skills;
- cataloging experience;
- computer software knowledge including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite, PowerPoint, Access, Windows 10, etc.;
- professional in person and phone etiquette.
- hold a current standard vehicle driver's license.
- cataloging/Classification schemes;
- library technology trends;
- modern office equipment; most specifically electronic systems utilized by the BTBL across the country;
- basic computer hardware and software;
- NLS national standards and best practices.
- communicate well;
- inspire and lead a staff of five paraprofessionals;
- move the program forward;
- increase outreach across the state;
- work with stakeholders across the state.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships;
- navigate the web;
- be flexible;
- perform all duties documented and other duties as assigned;
- work well in teams as part of BTBL, DOE and SDSL leadership.
Additional Requirements: To be considered, attach your resume, cover letter and three professional references
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
Successful applicant(s) will be required to undergo a background investigation. An arrest/conviction record will not necessarily bar employment. Successful applicant(s) will undergo an abuse and neglect screening. Offers of employment are conditional upon successful completion of a drug screening.
NCRC: If you possess a National Career Readiness Certificate, please submit the certificate with your application. For more information on how to acquire a National Career Readiness Certificate contact a South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation Job Service Office. A certificate is not necessary to be considered.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
Apply by clicking on the green "Apply Externally" button.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Fax: 605.773.4344
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"