Physical Security Command Center Technician
Van Andel Institute’s Physical Security Department is seeking to fill 3 positions as a Command Center Technician.. Currently available is a full-time 1st and 3rd shift position, and part-time 2nd shift position.
Van Andel Institute’s Physical Security Department supports the Van Andel Institute’s Scientific and Educational mission by protecting the assets of the Institute: people, property and information through consistent quality service 24 hours a day - 365 days a year.
As a Physical Security Command Center Technician, you will observe activities of guests and employees utilizing surveillance and access control systems and monitor alarms and other security systems for possible emergencies or security breaches. Dispatch and coordinate responses to incidents and emergencies. Write protocols and have active participation in mitigation efforts. Managing training activities and assessment for employees regarding command center equipment and protocols.
Some additional responsibilities you can expect to fulfill would include:
- Use surveillance system and display terminals to confirm the status of security systems and confirm authorization of individuals requesting access to any security area, and dispatch security personnel appropriately based on the security situation.
- Maintain working knowledge of security and building system computers to ensure all security staff are properly trained by utilizing formalized training guidelines.
- Provide on-the-job training for other control room operators and submit progress reports on trainees. Monitor training protocols and required training documentation changes.
- Monitor, test and respond to electronic security system alarms and access control systems, and coordinate emergency situations/activities, keeping appropriate personnel updated.
- Send incident notifications in real-time and follow up notifications regarding incident updates and clearance, log communications into computer software, document daily activities, and provide monthly summaries of activity logs, incident reporting, and other control room activity.
- Provide assistance and clarification to customers, employees and visitors regarding the organizational need to enforce procedural rules, protocols and regulations.
- Support front desk operations and respond to calls for service, as assigned.
The job might be right for you if:
- You have the ability to critically think and have the curiosity/desire to learn.
- You act with confidence and able to instruct others
- You are able to adapt well to changing priorities and situations and adjust decision making based on the facts and circumstances as they evolve.
- You are able to effectively communicate and gather information through verbal & written methods.
To join our team you will need to have at least:
- Associate’s Degree or equivalent preferred with 2+ years of customer-facing experience in retail, hospitality, insurance, healthcare, or related industries.
- At least two years in an Access Control/Surveillance environment utilizing related equipment.
- Working knowledge of alarm system operations and alarm response requirements.
- Technically proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate using telephone equipment and radio communications with all personnel, and to exercise excellent customer service skills, tact, forcefulness, and good judgment in emergency situations, and work calmly and accurately under intense pressure.
- Knowledge of basic first aid and basic criminal investigation procedures (will train if not currently certified).
The schedule will depend on the shift and position for which one is hired. Positions may involve regular and irregular shift work, shift and day off rotations necessary to provide services 24 hours/day, 7 days/week, and 52 weeks/year (weekends and holidays included). Work shifts are normally 8 hours in duration but may be extended in the event of an emergency, personnel shortage, workload or work-in-progress.
- 1st Shift 0800-1600 (Full-Time)
- 2nd Shift 1600-0000 (Part-Time)
- 3rd Shift 0000-0800 (Full-Time)
POSITION STATUS AND SALARY:
These positions are non-exempt positions. The hourly rate for these positions will be commensurate with education, relevant work experience, and other qualifications. Shift differentials are paid for 2nd and 3rd shifts.
This individual will also be eligible for the following Benefits:
- Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Employer-sponsored life and AD&D insurance
- Additional voluntary life and AD&D insurance for employees and dependents
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Flexible-spending accounts for health and child/elder care
- 401 K retirement savings plans with employee/employer contributions
- Paid vacation, holidays, personal days
HOW TO APPLY https://bit.ly/2XFvJe9
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume as a single combined PDF file through our online submission system.
In your cover letter, please outline your security background and future career goals, and how these factors fit with the position described.
As Van Andel Institute is a drug and alcohol free employer, all prospective new employees undergo a urinalysis/drug test as part of our pre-employment process. Prospective employees will also undergo a background check (criminal history and misconduct, employment and degree verification).
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer.
This position will be open until filled. If you have any difficulty uploading your application or any questions, please email Megan Doerr at Megan.Doerr@vai.org.
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Research Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second-largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top 100 Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you would expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walkable neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.