Utilities SME - Electrical
The Utilities Engineer is responsible for oversight of operational and troubleshooting support for the electrical system distribution with strict adherence to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and cGMP's in a Pharmaceutical Manufacturing facility. Experience with other Plant Utilities (Boilers, Chillers, Cooling Towers, etc.) is a plus.
The Engineer will support operations, maintenance, manufacturing, automation, quality assurance, EHS, reliability engineering, project delivery and global engineering. This individual will work closely with a cross-functional team to meet the needs of the groups they support.
Main Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Responsible for providing engineering expertise to support the design, installation, commissioning, validation and operation of the plant electrical systems.
- Assist with creating plans, perform equipment selection, load calculations and power system studies. Periodically review and update the Short Circuit Coordination Study.
- Responsible to support cGMP facility design and improvement projects. Play an essential leadership role in the operation and troubleshooting of the utility systems.
- Review and make recommendations to management for utility equipment replacement as part of the life cycle improvement process and continuous improvement initiative planning.
- Perform regular field walk-through tours, inspections and initiate any procedures necessary to resolve problems.
- Support the planning and execution of activities by working in cross-functional teams. Assist in driving projects to completion to meet timeline and budget objectives.
- Continuously stay current with assigned SOPs and keep an up to date training file ensuring compliance with all applicable Standard Operating Procedures.
- Key member of the Energy and Sustainability initiatives. Drive development of the WAGES program. Collect, analyze and report data for use by the Utilities and Operations department.
- Responsible for change controls, CAPAs, risk assessments, Safety and Regulatory Agency Audits.
- Provide guidance for support personnel and support development of PM programs.
- Prepares User Requirements Specifications (URS), Risk Assessments, Safety Assessments associated with the electrical system.
- Participate in validation activities including review of IQ/OQ protocols, executions and summary reports.
- Participate in the development and implementation of procedural Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), technical specifications (Design/Functional/System) and updating electrical drawings.
- Support small-scale capital projects, creating scope of work, justification, cost estimates and implementing purchase order requisitions.
- Provide support to the Capital Projects Team assisting with equipment submittal reviews, MEP specification and drawing reviews, FAT’s/SAT’s, turnover package reviews ensuring that the documentation is accurate and complete and meets specifications.
- Coordinate with site departments to schedule utility system shutdowns, tie-ins and system startup.
- Assist with developing predictive and preventative maintenance program for utility systems.
- Demonstrate continuous improvement with respect to increasing job knowledge and proficiency related to engineering in the biopharmaceutical industry, as well as technical understanding/problem solving capability.
- Complies with requirements from CSL Behring’s Safety Program, including Health and Safety mandates and OSHA requirements.
- Completes any other duties/responsibilities assigned by senior management.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering with 5+ years of experience in an engineering role in support of a large industrial, pharmaceutical, biotechnology or FDA regulated facility.
- Experience working in a Union environment is preferred but not required.
- Experience with architectural, MEP and P&ID drawings preferably in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Must be able to read and interpret electrical and control drawings.
- Extensive knowledge of electrical design standards, IEEE, NFPA requirements and other codes related to design, safety and maintenance.
- Must have design and working experience with electrical power distribution at 115kV, 15kV and 480v.
- Must have Building design and commissioning experience.
- Must have design and working experience for the following types of equipment as a minimum: Generators, Switchgears, UPS, Inverters, Automatic Transfer Switches, Transformers, Harmonic Filters, Variable Frequency Drives, Motor Control Centers (MCC’s), Motor Starters, Interior and Exterior Lighting and Power Management System.
- Experience performing Power Systems Studies using analysis software. (SKM Power Tools Preferred).
- Experience in electrical and instrumentation design in hazardous locations.
- Experience in electrical and instrumentation design in ISO clean room locations.
- Experience in security and access control systems.
- Experience in fire alarm and smoke control systems.
- Knowledge & experience in the design, implementation, operations and maintenance of utility systems, as well as working in a regulated environment (FDA, cGMP, OSHA).
- Experience working to regulatory standards: FDA, Good Engineering Practice (GEP), Good Manufacturing Procedures (GMP) and Good Documentation Procedures (GDP).
- Understanding of technical documents such as Maintenance Plans, Task lists, System Specifications (URS, FRS), SAT, FAT, Commissioning & Qualification Protocols & Specifications, Validation Protocols.
- Experience with Quality Management and Change Control Systems.
- Excellent technical problem-solving skills and the ability to work in collaborative and independent work situations and environments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to work with consultants and contractors, while interfacing with multiple departments, working with internal customers to manage projects, policy, and procedures.
- Knowledge of computerized maintenance management systems (CMMS) and utility operations programs. (SAP)
- Must work and interact effectively and professionally with others.
- Must have effective oral and written communication skills.
- Computer skills: MS Office Suite, MS Project, and AutoCAD.
- Drives Results
- Business Insight
- Situational Adaptability
- Communicates Effectively
- Customer Focus
- Organizational Savvy
- Plans and Aligns
1201 N. Kinzie
CSL Behring Kankakee
Full Time/Part Time
Equal Opportunity Employer
CSL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, please click below.