Administrative Assistant & Scheduler (Administrative Aide)
Independently performs a variety of administrative duties, as well as special projects for a member of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors who represents 133,000 residents. Handles scheduling and coordinating meetings, office administration, answering and transferring phone calls, supply ordering, office maintenance coordination, event planning, scheduling community rooms, manages Mount Vernon District Board Authorities and Commissions process, special projects and other duties as requested. This is an opportunity to engage, support, and interact with people of all ages, backgrounds, and experiences. Includes community and relationship building, and provides an opportunity to grow and learn about local government. Duties are performed under general direction.
Salary: $40,000.00 or commensurate with experience.
- Provides administrative and technical support to professional staff;
- Researches, organizes and maintains legislative and other materials for board members and staff;
- Drafts and/or edits written materials, such as correspondence and summaries of information for public dissemination;
- Assists in planning various aspects of special projects and essential programs, to include scheduling and coordinating meetings;
- Sets up, monitors, records, and provides staff assistance for board meetings, including evening or weekend meetings;
- Maintains an e-mail list for electronic dissemination of materials;
- Files, copies, and maintains records.
- Manages and provides coordination for appointees to Boards, Authorities, and Commissions
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of techniques and practices of research methodology, data collection, and preliminary analysis;
- Report writing;
- Application and use of basic statistics;
- Interview techniques sufficient to obtain information related to administrative matters;
- Database, spreadsheet and word processing applications including basic methods of graphic presentations.
- Ability to collect, compile and analyze qualitative and quantitative data;
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with management, employees, clients, and constituents;
- Understand program objectives in relation to departmental goals and procedures;
- Organize and prioritize work assignments;
- Use and understand common database, spreadsheet and word processing applications.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to a bachelor's degree in political science, public policy, public administration, business administration, English, communications, or a related field.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- Must possess, or be able to obtain, a Virginia driver's license.
- Must possess, or be able to obtain, a notary public license from the Commonwealth of Virginia.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Due to the scope and responsibilities associated with the position, the appointee must be willing and able to work evening and weekend hours.
The successful candidate must be familiar with local government and the legislative process, and possess exceptional written and verbal communications skills, as well as superior customer service skills. Ability to multitask, work independently and quickly change priorities. Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite applications to include Outlook, Teams, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Familiarity with Customer Relationship Management Software. Bilingual with fluency in English and Spanish, Korean, or other languages. Resident of the Mount Vernon District or southeastern portion of Fairfax County or willing to locate to the area shortly after employment.
TO APPLY: Please send your resume and cover letter outlining your education, experience, and availability to Mtvernon@fairfaxcounty.gov and include "Administrative Assistant/Aide" in the subject line.
Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or status as a veteran in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.