Associate General Counsel
Office of the State Treasurer and Receiver General
Department: Legal Department Job Title: Associate General Counsel
Reports to: General Counsel Job Classification: Exempt
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Associate General Counsel of the Office of the State Treasurer and Receiver General (“Treasury”) provides legal guidance to the Treasury’s various departments, divisions, and quasi-independent agencies. The departments, divisions, and quasi-independent agencies include the Unclaimed Property Division, Cash Management, Administration and Finance, Veterans’ Bonus Division, Office of Economic Empowerment, Human Resources, and Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Provide legal advice to the Treasury Executive Office and staff of departments and quasi-independent Treasury agencies, on the interpretation of applicable federal and state laws, regulations, and case law; contract negotiation and/or interpretation; and internal policy and procedure development and implementation.
· Advise senior Treasury staff, Human Resources department, and employees on issues related to federal and state employment and labor laws, including conducting workplace investigations and responding to grievances and employment claims.
· Represent the Treasury in administrative proceedings, including before the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, the Division of Labor Relations, the Division of Administrative Law Appeal, and in state and federal court proceedings.
· Assist in the development, drafting, and implementation of Treasury policies, regulations, and interpretive materials.
· Advise the Unclaimed Property Division on legal claim reviews, which includes providing advice to Unclaimed Property division staff on issues related to M.G.L. c.200A.
· Serve as liaison to the Office of the Attorney General and manage outside counsel in litigation and/or administrative procedures involving the Treasury.
· Review and monitor proposed legislation and regulations regarding the Treasury and quasi-independent Treasury agencies.
· Provide legal advice to Treasury staff on compliance with the laws applicable to the procurement of goods and services and Massachusetts General Laws chapters 66 (Public Records), 30A, §§ 18-25 (Open Meetings), and 268A (Conduct of Public Officials), regulations, and interpretive case law.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· As necessary, participate in the procurement process to obtain outside goods and/or services for the Treasury.
· As necessary, participate in responding to public records request and subpoenas
· Perform other legal tasks as requested.
· Treasury legal staff (paralegal and office manager) and legal interns as needed.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
· Education: J.D. from accredited law school
· License/certification: Massachusetts bar certification and good standing with the Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers
· Experience: At least one-year experience in law firm and/or governmental agency. Experience in litigation and administrative law; contract negotiation and interpretation; and statutory and regulatory interpretation.
· Abilities/skills: Excellent research skills, including facility with Westlaw and other online research tools; adept with Microsoft Office suite of products, including Word, Excel, and Outlook; strong attention to detail, organized, and adept at prioritizing and reprioritizing tasks; ready team player, growth mindset, self-directed and self-motivated, and ability to work independently, all with limited administrative support.