We're looking for an entry-level Engineer to join our Location and Surveys team providing statewide engineering and geomatics analysis in the development of transportation facilities and acquisition of property applying the best professional engineering and surveying practices consistent with the laws governing the NC State Highway System.
In this role, you will
- Serve on a small team of engineers in the High Definition Scan (HDS) Group using terrestrial LiDAR equipment and software in the acquisition, processing, mapping, and delivery of data used in highway and structure design, construction and pavement analysis.
- Direct activities of others in the collection and processing of data.
- Use CADD and equipment-specific software in data processing for use by others and in the review of similar data provided by Private Engineering Firms including mobile LiDAR Data.
- Make less complex decisions about the processing and presentation of data collected by you or others, using that data for engineering analysis and design.
- Work with other engineering design and analysis squads in the analysis and use of this data.
What You Bring
- Knowledge of surveying principles as applied to boundary, geodetic, and route surveying.
- Knowledge of laws, regulations and policies that apply to highway design process, Federal and State regulations and laws; and NCDOT organization, policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Knowledge of GNSS survey procedures and processing.
- Knowledge of coordinate systems and data used in surveying.
- Experience reviewing the work of others in CADD using Bentley MicroStation or equivalent.
- Ability to be responsible for the safety of team members and equipment in all operations, including heavy volume traffic work zones, construction sites, landslides, and rock falls.
- Skilled in working with CADD packages and other complex specialized computer software in the processing, development, analysis, and delivery of data collected by self or others using HDS technology.
- Can work with specialized and unique survey equipment for the acquisition of High Density Survey data for use by others in the applications of highway/structure design and construction and in pavement analysis for design, construction, maintenance, or accident investigation.
- Comfortable working with data users (design engineers, construction engineers, traffic engineers, etc.) in development of data acquired by HDS Team for less complex application to each user’s discipline or area of concern.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of concepts, practices, and theories used in the engineering specialty area and the ability to use it in practice.
- Ability to understand and apply the basic engineering concepts, practices, and theories involved in the design/development/review/permitting, construction, maintenance, operations, or repair of, projects/sites and their potential environmental and safety impacts.
- Can prepare/review small or less complex engineering/technical plans and/or data for completeness, compatibility, compliance with engineering principles, standards, codes and design needs; ability to make recommendations to higher level engineers or managers on project concerns/issues.
- Can make recommendations to approve routine engineering/technical designs and/or program/project specifications of other engineers to meet desired compliance with engineering principles, standards, codes, designs and statutes.
- Excellent writing skills and ability to present detailed technical information, guidelines and standards to seek compliance and/or approval.
- Skills at applying mathematical, physical, and engineering sciences to routine services or creative work as consultation, investigation, evaluation, planning, and design of engineering/geomatic projects using appropriate planning methods and resources.
Education & Experience
- Bachelors degree in engineering; or
- An equivalent combination of training and experience.
May require registration as a professional engineer by the North Carolina Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors.
Call me: Debbie Pell at 919-707-6800.
Follow NCDOT Careers on
See all NCDOT jobs at: https://bit.ly/ncdotjobs