Engineer I - III (Project Engineer) (Job Id 15566)
*** $2,500 Hiring Incentive! ***
Current Department of Transportation Employees do NOT qualify for the Hiring Incentive.
Job ID: 15566
Agency: Department of Transportation / Division of Operations
Salary: $25.37 - $ 33.58 per hour, depending on experience
Pay Grade: E1 - E3
Closing Date: 02/05/2021
This is a full-time position with the Department of Transportation. For more information about the Department of Transportation, please visit http://dot.sd.gov.
The Project Engineer (Engineer I-III) performs contract administration on a variety of small to moderately complex projects such as reconstruction projects, structures, Portland cement concrete paving projects and asphalt paving projects. Duties include, but are not limited to preparing project documents; compiling, analyzing, and preparing project information and data; developing preliminary design plans; reviewing plans and plats; developing final, complete project plans; providing technical guidance to peers, managers, subordinates, and/or external entities; attending and providing training; reviewing the work of others; inspecting materials; inspecting contractor's work; providing information to the public, other government agencies, internally, the media and the private sector; and planning and assigning work and providing staff guidance and support.
Typically 40-hour workweek, Monday through Friday although hours may vary during construction activity including weekends.
Work activity will involve both an office environment and an outdoor environment. Outdoor work involves working outdoors in all weather and around traffic.
Use arms, legs and back to safely move, drag, lift 35 pounds frequently, up to 60 pounds occasionally (without assistance), and 90 or more pounds infrequently (with assistance).Walk, sit and stand for extended periods of time. Routinely reach, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
Licenses and Certifications:
Bachelor's degree in civil engineering or graduate in the Spring of 2021 with a Bachelor's degree in civil engineering for entry-level position.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
Only applicants with a bachelor's degree in civil engineering and work experience related to road and bridge construction will be considered.
- civil engineering highway and bridge construction theories, principles, and design practices;
- basic practices and terminology of computer operations and computer aided design and drafting practices;
- construction materials (preferred but not required);
- construction contract administration (preferred but not required);
- Department of Transportation policies and procedures (preferred but not required).
- operate computers, use Microsoft software, and other related software;
- operate survey equipment and perform the necessary calculations.
- display high standards of ethical conduct;
- demonstrate self-confidence and take action when needed;
- attend to all details of assignments and complete work properly, accurately, and thoroughly;
- listen attentively to others and clearly convey information and ideas;
- develop expertise by actively identifying development needs, taking advantage of development opportunities, and applying newly learned knowledge and skills on the job;
- treat customers courteously and is responsive to their needs;
- exercise sound judgment when making decisions and take prompt, decisive action;
- actively seek, collect and evaluate information to learn more about issues or events;
- display a high level of effort and commitment towards completing assignments and goals;
- set priorities, schedule activities, acquire resources, and monitor progress to ensure the successful completion of project and assignments;
- work cooperatively with others and promote a friendly work climate in order to achieve shared goals;
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits informationathttps://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Fax: 605.773.4344
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"