Engineer I - III (Research Engineer) (Job Id 15574)
*** $2,500 Hiring Incentive! ***
Current Department of Transportation Employees do NOT qualify for the Hiring Incentive.
Job ID: 15574
Agency: Department of Transportation / Office of the Secretariat / Research Program
Salary: $25.37 - $33.58 per hour, depending on experience
Pay Grade: E1 - E3
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This is a full-time position with the Department of Transportation. For more information about the Department of Transportation, please visit http://dot.sd.gov.com/.
This position manages research projects and conducts research to develop, demonstrate, and deploy advanced technologies, methodologies, and knowledge; and improve cost effectiveness, efficiency, and safety of transportation systems. Duties include but are not limited to assessing and defining needs, priorities, strategic plans, and anticipated work efforts for proposed research projects; defining final project parameters and initiates selection processes to solicit consultants or other researchers; managing, coordinating, and overseeing assigned research projects to ensure they are carried out and completed according to contractual agreements; facilitating implementation results of research projects that span a broad spectrum of business areas to provide the level of expertise that ensures most effective adoption of research results; performing research as an assigned research consultant and principal investigator to develop and implement research projects; keeping current on prevailing transportation research initiatives, evolving practices, and new concepts in performing work functions in various transportation business areas; and providing technical expertise to support administrative decision-making.
Applicants are encouraged to attach a resume, academic transcript, and technical writing sample.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
Only applicants with a bachelor's degree in civil engineering, electrical engineering, or a related engineering field will be considered. Interest and experience in research and development applicable to transportation is preferred.
- principles and practices of a technical discipline such as engineering or physical sciences;
- principles of systems and project management;
- scientific research methods;
- applicable state and federal transportation laws;
- department policies and procedures regarding project planning, development, design, and construction;
- the principles of effective human relations.
- analyze technical reports and regulations;
- communicate effectively;
- facilitate consensus among groups with diverse and sometimes competing interests.
- expand personal knowledge in new subjects related to transportation and engineering;
- analyze engineering problems and identify innovative solutions;
- effectively plan, organize, and prioritize work activities to meet schedules and deadlines;
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of people.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9.
The State of South Dakota offers paid employee health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation leave accrual, and medical, dental, vision, and other benefits. For more information please visit https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Fax: 605.773.4344
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"