The City of Takoma Park MD is seeking an experienced Planner who is a self-starter with strong communication and project management skills. Our planning staff is small and plays an important role in the City’s efforts to improve the quality of life of its residents through the implementation of policies that support transit-oriented, mixed-use development, and active transportation.
Current planning projects that will become the responsibility of the selected candidate include: the development of a community-wide public space management plan; completion of a major bikeway conversion project; coordination of a complete streets concept study; and site plan review of new and ongoing redevelopment projects.
The successful candidate will have an opportunity to initiate projects, identify funding options, and work collaboratively with other departments and agencies on projects that advance local and regional development goals.
Typical Duties include:
- Coordinating with local and neighboring jurisdictions; Developing and maintaining partnerships with governmental and non-government stakeholders on projects related to transportation, economic development, zoning, land-use, research, and public art;
- Researching, preparing, and submitting applications for grants and technical assistance programs in support of existing or proposed projects;
- Managing grant awards including monitoring progress, expenditure of funds, and preparing reports;
- Managing streetscape and placemaking design and engineering projects;
- Researching, gathering, and analyzing data;
- Preparing memoranda, reports, presentations, publications, spreadsheets, tables and charts for presentations;
- Or may include presenting information to the City Council, County Planning Board, and other public bodies;
- Planning and implementing neighborhood bikeways improvements and other transportation-related projects;
- Coordinating review of development applications;
- Issuing City permit letters;
- Developing and updating departmental communications materials;
- Developing maps for internal and external purposes and manage geographic data;
- Assisting in selection and development of interns;
- Performing all other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications include:
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the Planning, Community Development, or any other related field;
- One to two years of progressive, responsible Planning experience; or
- Any combination of education, training, and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job;
- Experience reading site plans and construction drawings.
In addition to these qualifications listed above, highly competitive candidates may have:
- A Masters degree in a related course of study;
- Minimum of two to three years’ experience in a Planning position;
- Direct experience in website development, Google Analytics, Google Webmaster Tools, and Google Custom Search;
- Knowledge of Geographic Information System (GIS) principles and practices.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Writing Sample, with a maximum of two pages
- Additional Work Samples: Maximum of two samples that may include maps, graphics, poster, written excerpts, etc.
The hourly wage for this position is expected to be between $30.38 per hour and $35.26 per hour, and is eligible for membership in the AFSCME union. The City offers an excellent benefits program including participation in the Maryland State Retirement program, deferred compensation plan with employer match, employer paid premiums for employee only health insurance, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Please visit www.takomaparkmd.gov to apply.
The City of Takoma Park is a small jurisdiction in Montgomery County, Maryland bordering the District of Columbia and Prince George’s County. Inhabited by a diverse and politically active population of 17,000 citizens, Takoma Park is known for its progressive policies, historic tree-lined neighborhoods, and independent businesses. We are proud to be a workforce of almost 200 full-time and part-time employees that are as diverse as the community we serve. We strive to maintain excellent customer service and responsiveness to our residents and everyone we work with. It is with this in mind that we seek to improve by championing quality and efficiency through a dedicated workforce and cooperative spirit.
The City of Takoma Park is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We strive to be a diverse workforce that is representative of the residents we serve and the area in which we live. We are dedicated to creating an inclusive environment where employees of diverse backgrounds can thrive and make a positive impact in the services we provide.