Civil Engineer (Road Design) (Job Id 15583)
*** $2,500 Hiring Incentive! ***
Current Department of Transportation Employees do NOT qualify for the Hiring Incentive
Job ID: 15583
Agency: Department of Transportation / Division of Planning and Engineering / Office of Road Design
Salary: $25.37 - $33.58 per hour, depending on experience
Pay Grade: E1 - E3
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This is a full-time position with the Department of Transportation. For more information on the Department of Transportation, please visit https://dot.sd.gov/.
This is working for the South Dakota Department of Transportation (SDDOT) provides a rewarding career with opportunities for advancement, a flexible work schedule, and great benefits. This civil engineer position allows you to use your skills to solve problems while designing a safe and effective highway system. The successful applicant will be a integral member of the Office of Road Design performing design activities; and will be responsible for the design and assembling the plans for cost-effective, constructible highway projects. This includes establishing cross section templates, vertical and horizontal alignments, and drainage elements to meet many needs while following federal, state and department policies and guidelines; utilizing mathematical calculations and computer aided design to preform daily duties. Duties include the diversity of participating in scoping of projects, attend public meetings, conducting or assisting as necessary in design inspections and landowner meetings; and providing day-to-day work direction to drafters/CAD technicians on their assigned projects.
Licenses and Certifications:
Depending upon experience level, applicants should possess or be eligible to obtain either Engineering In Training Status or Professional Engineer license.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
Only applicants with a bachelor's degree in civil engineering or related field will be considered.
- civil, environmental and structural engineering principles, practices and theories;
- technical phases of civil engineering such as surveying, hydraulics, materials, and design;
- mathematics, physics, and chemistry
- basic principles and terminology of computer operations
- provide excellent communication skills, customer service, and organization;
- use Microsoft Office products and CADD software
- read, interpret, and evaluate engineering plans, and specifications for acceptable engineering practices;
- organize, analyze, calculate, and evaluate available information and draw upon reasonable conclusions;
- communicate information clearly and concisely;
- effectively plan, organize and prioritize work activities to meet schedules and deadlines;
- work in a team environment;
- develop positive working relationships.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9.
The State of South Dakota offers paid employee health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation leave accrual, and medical, dental, vision, and other benefits. For more information please visit https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Fax: 605.773.4344
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"