Mental Health Professional (Job Id 15650)
***$2,000 HIRING INCENTIVE***
Job ID: 15650
Agency: Department of Social Services/Correctional Behavioral Health/Women's Prison
Salary: $50,320 - $62,953 annually, depending on qualifications
Pay Grade: GK
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This is a full-time position with the Department of Social Services/Correctional Behavioral Health in Pierre. For more information on DSS, please visit https://dss.sd.gov/.
This position is exempt from the Civil Service Act.
The Mental Health Professional is responsible for providing mental health services to adult prisoners at the Women's Prison in Pierre. Services provided include but are not limited to assessment and evaluation of individuals for behavioral health concerns, individual and group counseling, development of treatment plans and assistance with release planning to determine mental health services upon release from the correctional setting to facilitate continuity of care.
The South Dakota Women’s Prison is a National Health Service Corps (NHSC) approved site which can provide opportunities for student loan reimbursement.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Experience working with clients that have been involved in the criminal justice system. Experience with clients with dual diagnosed disorders. Experience and understanding on how systems work.
- Master’s level degree in MH Counseling or related field required.
- theories and techniques used in counseling, crisis intervention, and chemical dependency issues;
- evidence-based practices related to the rehabilitation of criminal offenders;
- attitude, problems, and behavior of incarcerated individuals;
- treatment planning, charting, and report writing;
- suicide prevention and intervention specifically related to the correctional population.
- effectively communicate and motivate treatment resistant offenders
- conduct clinical interviews, assessments, and evaluations;
- diagnose mental health disorders.
- deal effectively with offenders from diverse ethnic and sociological backgrounds;
- be a positive role model;
- work collaboratively and communicate quickly and accurately with multi-disciplinary staff;
- receive oral communications from clients and relate that information accurately to others;
- conduct individual and group counseling sessions;
- make proper responses to safety and security problems;
- work in a correctional facility;
- adhere to the security of such correctional facility;
- effectively deal with mental health crisis situations;
- make clinical decisions regarding offenders’ mental health.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
Successful applicant(s) will be required to undergo a background investigation. An arrest/conviction record will not necessarily bar employment. Offers of employment are conditional upon successful completion of a drug screening.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Fax: 605.773.4344
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"