Engineer I - II (Region Design Engineer) (Job Id 15685)
*** $2,500 Hiring Incentive! ***
Current Department of Transportation Employees do NOT qualify for Hiring Incentive
Job ID: 15685
Agency: Department of Transportation / Division of Operations
Salary: $25.37 - $29.53 per hour, depending on experience
Pay Grade: E1 - E2
This is a full-time position with the Department of Transportation. For more information about the Department of Transportation, please visit http://dot.sd.gov.
The successful applicant will be a member of the Region Design squad within the Pierre Region Office. This position is involved in design layout and assembly of highway construction and maintenance plans, which includes roadway surfacing, pipe culverts, minor grading, guardrail, riprap and other miscellaneous highway features. Duties may include, but are not limited to design development through analyzing project scope and preparing design based on standards, field inspections, and engineering knowledge; design reviews of peers project work and provide recommendations for corrective actions; and technical assistance to provide support to construction staff and assist with contractor questions.
A typical 40-hour work week, Monday through Friday, although hours may vary depending on workload. Work activity will predominately be an office environment with occasions in an outdoor environment; and outdoor work may involve working in all weather conditions and around traffic.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
Only applicants with a bachelor's degree in civil engineering or related field will be considered. Engineer (E-2): a bachelor's degree in civil engineering or related field plus 1-3 years of progressive education, training, and experience equivalent to a Level 2 in the Engineering Career Family. Experience in highway construction or design with knowledge of roadway surface, pipe culvert, construction materials or guardrail is helpful.
- highway design methods, processes, and sequences (preferred, but not required);
- standard terminology, techniques and practices of drafting and graphical designs;
- engineering and scientific principles, practices, and methods as applicable to highway design.
- access, operate, and maintain various software applications (i.e., Microsoft based software, Microstation, Inroads, and ArcGIS);
- read and interpret highway construction plans, right-of-way plats, and regulatory documents;
- provide technical information and interpretation to permitting agencies, consultants, contractors, and other SDDOT staff.
- display high standards of ethical conduct and demonstrate behaviors in line with SDDOT's core values;
- work independently on several concurrent projects and participate in the entire design process;
- attend to all details of assignments and complete work properly, accurately, and thoroughly;
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental personnel, management, contractors, consultants, and the general public;
- exercise sound judgment when making decisions and takes prompt, decisive action;
- listens attentively to others and effectively communicate information both verbally and in writing;
- work cooperatively with others and promote a friendly work climate in order to achieve shared goals.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
Apply through the external application link via Handshake.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Fax: 605.773.4344
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"