L&I APPLICATION DEVELOPER, JOURNEY
Washington is America's Top State according to U.S. News (2019) and we provide one of the most competitive benefits packages in the nation. Here at the Department of Labor & Industries (L&I), we believe that your voice matters. We value our employees and offer flexible schedules that respect your work/life balance. In addition, L&I is a diverse state agency dedicated to the safety and health and security of Washington's 2.5 million workers. Learn more about L&I, the employer of choice here.
Please note: This announcement is being used to fill multiple positions. This recruitment will remain open until filled. Application review will begin immediately, and the position(s) may be filled at any time.
Within L&I, our Information Technology Division is responsible for providing information technology based products and services in support of our agency's business priorities. In this role, you will be working for our Application and Data Management group consisting of six development teams. We are responsible for developing and enhancing more than 300 agency software applications and management of agency databases. We also manage the agency’s databases and deliver advanced web capabilities to citizens and businesses within Washington State. Our Enterprise Systems and Services Development Team provides ongoing support of enterprise and domain applications, services and data.
As an Application Developer at the journey level, you will contribute to the mission of Information Technology by providing information technology-based products and services in support of the department's business priorities related to Claims Administration, Insurance Services, Support Services Management Services and Claims related legal services.
This position is responsible to independently analyze, design, develop, test, debug, document, enhance, and maintain multiple complex computer applications using multiple programming languages and technologies using effective agile driven technologies. Applications supported by this position include Claims and Account Center (CAC), Orion, Early Claims Solution (ECS), Integrated Document Management (IDM) Kofax, eGain. If this sounds like the challenge you've been looking for, then we encourage to join our team by applying now!
Pursuant to the Governor’s Directive, 20-08, we will not be scheduling any furlough days until after July 2021. We are continuing to work with the Governor’s Office on the timing of any future furlough dates and adjusting to any future changes.
- Transform requirements into software, reporting, and database solutions by using programming languages and technologies to design, develop, and debug applications
- Test and confirm solutions by conducting unit tests to confirm program operation
- Deploy solutions by developing deployment plans, coordinating code releases, coordinating the deployment team, and coordinating with other IT units as necessary to deploy the software.
- Identify and analyze requirements by interpreting service requests to determine the exact needs of the customers, and arrange project requirements in programming sequence, preparing work flow charts and/or diagrams, using knowledge of computer capabilities, subject matter, programming languages and logic.
- Monitor and maintain Databases and Solutions
- Provide Critical Response and Problem Resolution by responding to critical production problems and participating on incident response teams, which may include 24-hour "system response" for production problems
- Provide outstanding customer service via status updates and other professional correspondence
- And much more!
- 8 years of Information Technology experience* in a professional IT workplace related to application development.
- An Associate's degree and 6 years of Information Technology experience* related to application development.
- A Bachelor's degree and 4 years of Information Technology experience* related to application development.
*Please Note: Qualifying IT experience is defined as analyzing, designing, implementing, maintaining or programming computer software applications/databases.
- 4 years professional experience in Object Oriented Programming Language, .Net or other OO programming languages
- 4 Years Professional Experience using a modern IDE, such as Visual Studio, Source Control and SQL Management Tool
Qualified applicants must also have 4 years of experience with some or all of the following:
- Strong knowledge of the .NET Framework Class Libraries
- Application Developments in VB, VB.NET, Visual Studio, ASP, ASP.NET or other object oriented programming languages
- MS SQL 2008 or higher
- N-tier software architecture and development
- IBM toolset- including Business Process Manager (BPM), Operation Decision Manager (ODM), etc.
- One year of professional programming experience while using Agile/Scrum methodology.
The top candidates will be contacted directly to interview for this position. Because the selection will be based on information provided by you, it is in your best interest to identify the knowledge, skills and abilities that address the mandatory and desirable qualifications described in the announcement.
Please include the following documents with your application:
1. A letter of interest describing specific qualifications.
2. A current resume detailing applicable experience and education.
3. A list of at least three professional references with current telephone numbers.
- Prior to appointment, a background check that includes a criminal record history review, will be conducted.
- Positions requiring travel must have a valid unrestricted driver's license and must be insured if driving a privately owned vehicle on state business.
- This position is represented by the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE).
- Candidates who are offered a job with L&I must possess work authorization which does not require sponsorship by the employer for a visa now or in the future.
- Positions requiring skills assessments are administered using CodeSignal. Applicants who are selected to move forward in this hiring process will receive an email invitation within 3 weeks of your application being accepted. An applicant may complete the assessment when you are ready, but the invitation to complete their assessment will expire 5 days when this invitation was sent. Once you start the assessment, you will be required to complete it, you cannot start your assessment and then come back to it at a later time. Please look in your email inbox or spam as these invitations are sent by CodeSignal.
Applicants wishing to claim Veterans Preference should attach a copy of their DD-214 (Member 4 copy), NGB 22, or signed verification of service letter from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs to their application. Please blackout any personally identifiable data such as social security numbers. For further information, please contact us at Jobs@Lni.wa.gov.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Employer
Here at Labor and Industries our employees come from all walks of life as do we. We strive to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
We believe in the importance of recognizing the value each of us contribute to the success of the mission of the agency. Having a diverse workforce is this agency’s greatest resource of strength and knowledge. It is through the combination of talents and abilities that we can pursue finding effective measures on how we can provide the best customer service. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace for everyone and we strongly mean everyone.
The State of Washington is an equal opportunity employer. Persons with a disability who need assistance in the application process or testing process, or those needing this announcement in an alternative format, may call (360) 902-5700. TTY users should first call 711 to access the Washington Relay Service.
You are welcome to include the name and pronoun you would like to be referred to in your materials and we will honor this as you interact with our award-winning diverse and inclusive organization.
If you have any questions regarding this announcement, program, or the agency please contact Andrea Ballard at email@example.com.