Budget, Payroll, and Procurement Manager (Principal Executive/Manager E)
Are you passionate about preserving, enhancing, and protecting Oregon’s environment? If so, please consider a career with the State of Oregon at the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). At DEQ, employees have the opportunity to work with a dynamic and supportive team of mission-focused individuals tasked with maintaining, restoring, and enhancing the quality of Oregon’s air, land, and water. Here is a video about DEQ: https://youtu.be/iP3K7JoLe1k
The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality has a full-time opportunity available for a Budget, Payroll, and Procurement Manager (Principal Executive/Manager E) located at DEQ Headquarters in Portland, Oregon.
Please consider joining an innovative team, and work to advance our agency’s mission to protect and improve Oregon’s environmental quality. The Central Services Division (CSD) assists the Agency in achieving its mission by providing central management services for the agency in accounting, budgeting, information systems, human resources, health and safety, training, policy and organizational development, purchasing, and facilities management. The division serves headquarters and 3 regional divisions, the Vehicle Inspection Program, and the Laboratory and Environmental Assessment Division. Services are provided for over 700 positions, various local and regional governments, and directly to citizens. Click here to view a map of all of the DEQ offices.
What you will do!
You will provide daily leadership and manage all aspects of the Department’s payroll, contracting, purchasing, travel, budgeting, and other business activities using overall knowledge of Department mission, goals, policies, statutes, administrative rules, and generally accepted accounting principles. You will ensure accurate and sound financial reporting; review, interpret, and update rules, policies, and procedures to ensure compliance with state and federal laws and regulations; serve as the Department contact in federal and state financial audits; and ensure the timeliness and accuracy of financial and budget information transmitted to the Department of Administrative Services (DAS). In addition, you will prepare, review, and analyze fiscal reports and records; implement fiscal policies and procedures that govern the expenditure of public funds; and provide agency-wide guidance to ensure the fiscal integrity of the Department. Finally, you will provide strategic budget development input to senior management and act as the principal agency budget contact for DAS-Budget, management, and the Legislative Fiscal Office (LFO).
What’s in it for you!
The opportunity to work in a productive and creative environment where no two days are ever the same! We offer a competitive benefits package that offers comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans for the employee and their qualified family members, as well as paid sick leave, vacation leave, personal leave, and 10 paid holidays a year. In addition, we offer membership in the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), and you have the opportunity to potentially receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). If you are passionate about Oregon's environment, apply today!
This is a full-time, management service-supervisory position.
This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies.
What are we looking for?
Minimum Qualifications: 3 years of management experience in a public or private organization, which included responsibility for each of the following: development of program rules and policies, development of long and short-range goals and plans, program evaluation, and budget preparation.
Candidates who are most competitive will also reflect the following:
- Management experience with a union represented employer.
- Management experience in a government agency or organization.
- Experience managing budget, payroll, and procurement sections and staff.
- Experience developing budgets, and budget reporting and management systems for an entity with multiple business or program lines.
- Demonstrated ability to advise executives and other decision-makers; excellent verbal and written communication skills; excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to be resourceful and pay attention to detail; ability to switch priorities or projects seamlessly.
- Experience in strategic planning, plan implementation, and change management.
- Ability and experience managing human, financial, and informational resources in a manner that instills employee and public trust, and accomplishes the organization's mission.
Work is primarily in an office setting. This position requires working a professional work week which may involve long hours and weekend work to complete complex or critical tasks under stringent or short time frames. Occasional travel is necessary.
How to Apply: (complete the application in full)
- External Applicants Click on the “Apply” button and submit your application. Click this link for the External Candidate job aid, and view this video for additional information.
- Internal Applicants (current State of Oregon employees): Apply through your employee Workday account. View this job aid for assistance.
- Be sure to attach a resume and cover letter.
- Allow yourself plenty of time to complete and submit the application, resume, and cover letter.
- Workday will timeout after 20 minutes of inactivity.
- This posting closes at 11:59 PM on the close date listed.
- Be sure to check both your email and Workday account for updates regarding this recruitment.
- Workday performs best in Google Chrome.
- Click here for Resources and a Job Support Page.
Please Note: In addition to your related work experience and education, DEQ will use the desired attributes and minimum qualifications above, under the “What are we looking for?” section to determine whom to interview. Please make sure your attributes and minimum qualifications are clearly demonstrated in your application material.
DEQ provides veterans’ preference points to all eligible veterans. For more information, please go here: https://www.oregon.gov/jobs/Pages/Veterans.aspx. For privacy reasons, please do not attach veterans’ preference documents when initially applying. You will be asked to submit those at a later time.
As an employer, the State of Oregon complies with HB 2005, the Pay Equity Bill. We do not discriminate on the basis of protected class in the payment of wages, and we do not screen applicants on the basis of their current or past compensation. Please visit http://www.oregon.gov/das/hr/pages/equity.aspx for more information.
DEQ does not offer visa sponsorships. Within three days of hire, all applicants will be required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security’s Form I-9, confirming authorization to work in the United States.
If you have questions about the recruitment or need assistance to participate in the application process, please contact Maddy Ouye, Human Resources Analyst, at email@example.com or (503) 347-5759. TTY users: please use the Oregon Telecommunications Relay Service at 1-800-735-2900.
Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ethnicity, veteran, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, or disability, and is committed to workplace diversity.